Arpae Emilia-Romagna (www.arpa.emr.it) is the regional agency for prevention, environment and energy of Emilia-Romagna (Italy). It was established in 1995 and has been operational since 1996 with the following institutional tasks:
- Monitoring the various environmental components;
- Monitoring and surveillance of land and human activities;
- Support activities in environmental impact assessment of plans and projects;
- Implementation and management of regional environmental information systems;
- Operating the regional hydro-meteorological and climate service (Arpa-Simc).
Agricultural meteorology and remote sensing activities, R&D and operational, are carried out extensively at Arpa-Simc, and are object of national and European projects like FP5 Demeter, FP6 Ensembles and Mipais (seasonal forecasting of crop yield and irrigation demand), Desertnet, Sedemed I and II and WaterCore (water issues), FP7 Vintage (precision viticulture), Stardex, EnercitEE, Weather (climate and energy/transport). Arpa-Simc also leads research on irrigation and climate change within the national project Agroscenari, on the adaptation of Italian agriculture to climate change.
Arpa-Simc has access, via the National Italian Air Force weather service, to all outputs from the general circulation model (GCM) operational at ECMWF (European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts, www.ecmwf.int), an independent intergovernmental organisation supported by 34 European states located in Reading, UK.Official website